[Fwd: Re: Power Supply for Crookes/Geissler Tubes (fwd)] (fwd)

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:35:49 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx" <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Power Supply for Crookes/Geissler Tubes (fwd)]

Trying again - bounced first time.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Power Supply for Crookes/Geissler Tubes (fwd)
Date: 	Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:21:49 -0800
From: 	Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 	High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>

High Voltage list wrote:

>Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

   Such setups work fine but I would suggest starting with a small
series capacitor [say 0.25 ufd or so] as, depending on the particular
coil, you may get enough output to damage the tube.  However, the output
voltage consists of spikes of alternating polarity which mixes up
polarity effects in the tube.  If you'll use a DC powered coil [typical
transistor switch or the like] you'll get much closer to unipolar pulses
and will probably get more interesting discharges.  The light dimmer
circuit is quick and easy but I prefer the DC drive.  I have a schematic
for a fairly simple Quadrac driver which I'd be glad to send and there
are plenty of sources on line for the transistor/IGBT switching driver.

Ed