[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TESLA VIDEO

 * Original msg to: Lisanap-at-cats.ucsc.edu

 MN> Sorry about not responding sooner.  I did get the video.  I
 MN> have watched most, but not all of it.  It is very exciting
 MN> and informative. My only complaint would have to be that I
 MN> get sort of sea-sick watching it for too long.

Well, I have sent out about two dozen or so of the videos. (I
almost have the second VCR that I had to buy to make copies paid
for.) Anyway, I never claimed to be a photographer :-), but yours
is only the second complaint I have had about getting seasick.
I wonder if dramamine would help?

 MN> Today I went to see a local neon guy.  He does scientific
 MN> glasswork and neon and related art stuff on the side.
 MN> Someone told me about him and that he had a coil, so I
 MN> called him up.

Guys like this are a big help. You can have him pump down some
tubes at a later date for some neat experiments.

 MN> The coil that he has was bought from a friend that he has
 MN> lost track of and was damaged by someone else that he rented
 MN> it to. It needs some repair, but he claims the discharges
 MN> are 3-4 feet. I may help him get it going again.

I would not be surprised. He probably would not have bought it,
and the other hamfist would not have paid to rent it, if it
hadn't performed reasonably well. Of course you took notes and
will transcribe and transmit all the details about this coil and
it's various components for our education and entertainment!

 MN> The really interesting part was some stuff that he gave me.
 MN> -a box of 2 1/2" and 5" wide rolls of what we think might be
 MN> mica. It is about the thickness of paper and is fairly
 MN> fragile.  The guy that sold him the coil gave it to him.
 MN> Said he could make coils with it. Maybe he meant caps. You
 MN> got any ideas on this?

Yeah, it sounds like this paper/mica composit that is used to
build "mica" capacitors. It's valueless. In my opinion plastic
dielectrics are far superior.

 MN> -a couple of old transformers, working. a 12/60 and a 12/30.
 MN> I own a 12/30 now. Could these 3 be used in parallel?  Its
 MN> the voltages that have to match, correct?

Those are finds. Yes, they can be run in parallel regardless of
amperage output if the voltages match.

 MN> -a plexi cabinet that contains a transformer that is 118VAC
 MN> primary with a 75KVDC secondary.  Holy shit!  The thing is
 MN> the size of a one  gallon can with a 3" by 8" tall porcelain
 MN> insulator sticking out the top. What can I do with this?

Not a whole lot until you find out the current ratings. It may
be possible to place a heavy step down transformer in the primary
supply circuit and run it at reduced voltage, but you want to
make sure the current rating is heavy enough to make it
worthwhile. From the size of it (fits in a 1 gal. can) it is
doubtful the thing will be much use for other an a mean Jacob's
Ladder.

 MN> -also in the cabinet are 4 caps.  They are .0002micro at
 MN> 40KVDC. These and the transformer are by Plastic Capacitors.

The DC rated caps with this voltage are perfect bypassing
capacitors to protect those neons you have got! All in all you
made out pretty well! Good job!

 MN> I believe I finally have all the info I need to get a coil
 MN> going. It is just time and money now.  Thanks again for
 MN> everything. Did anything ever come out of the powering the
 MN> laser concept that you were discussing in Oct-93?
 MN> Mark R. Napier  lisanap-at-cats.ucsc.edu

Well, we had major floods here. As a result my full scale lab
plans had to go on hold, and now I'm getting married in April.
The wife (to be) has agreed to make some sacrifices (she had too)
so I can shoot for the full scale lab again in a few years. I
never give up, just get set back. I have had some interesting
results with just a small coil and some bulbs, and now I am again
looking at Tesla famous single terminal "button" lamp that was
demonstrated in his lectures.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12