[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Jumpstarted Lamps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:36:38 -0700
From: "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Jumpstarted  Lamps (fwd)

To: Kevin Conkey:

The flor. lamps are being ignited from the radiation from your severly
mis-matched or out-of-tune coil.  A small capacitive load atop the coil
will cause it to radiate more and produce less of an output spark.  An
overquenched spark gap will cause the same problem.

Because of your low cap load atop the sec coil you are putting a lot of
reflected power back into the AC line (and also destroying your neighbors
TV and radio reception.

Use two 40 turn toroid chokes in series with each HV lead.  Use a pair of
10 AMP surplus RF filters in the xmfr 120 volt circuit.  Also use three
varisters (radio shack) from hot to gnd, neutral to gnd, and hot to neutral
on the 120 v circuit.  You need to filter this interference before the
local neighborhool declares you a nuisance, or worse yet, some irrate TV
viewer or ham operator calls the FCC on you. Ouch.  An ounce of prevention
is worth a lb of cure.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net