[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rotary Arc Gaps

I have several questions regarding rotary arc gaps. Is not its purpose to be
able to allow for the short on the arc gap contained in the tank LC primary
to be timed so that this occurs precisely when the AC voltage input is near
zero, thus negating the problem of the arc representing a short to the power
supply? If such is the case this would be 120 shorts per second based on 60
hz. Why do some designs than use 720 bps which I assume must mean 720 bursts
or shorts per second? Also can I expect to pay around $500 just for a
synchonius motor to make a Rot. arc gap? I assume this must be purchased.
Are dc motors also used with many poles or shorts per revolution to
circumvent this cost? Thanx for any info. HDN