[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformer ?'s

In a message dated 4/14/00 11:17:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > Original Poster: Kevin420790-at-aol-dot-com
>  >
>  > Hello everyone, I just came accross a transformer it is a GE
>  9T68Y502G10
>  > the add states that it was used in electrostatic copiers . its
>  ratings are:
>  >
>  > pri. 220V- 8A max. -at- 60Hz
>  > sec. 5kV 300mA
>  > 2 x 1/4" H.V. tabs
>  >
>  > now I have 2 questions,would this type of transformer be shunted and
>  would
>  > this
>  > transformer be worth the 44.95 if they were removed from equipment??
>  >
>  > thanks for any input and safe coiln'
>  > kevin dalpe

Kevin,

This sounds like the infamous xfrmer being sold by Herbach and
Radman Co.  Quite a few folks on this list have bought two of them
and center-tapped the series connection between the two.  They
then beefed up the output connection to prevent arc-overs, and
ran them in reso-charging mode with around 0.08uF caps.  The
ferroresonant winding and caps should not be used.  Most coilers
get 4 to 5 foot sparks.  One coiler has obtained 90" sparks I believe
from these transformers.

I prefer to use a pig or potential transformer if you can get one.

Cheers,
John Freau