[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GM coil record (was Solid State Record )

Hi Jim,

At 09:39 AM 04/20/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Terry wrote:
>>
>>If course, even now, the coveted GMHEICSLR still remains firmly mine ;-))
>>He he he!!!
>>http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2000/January/msg00257.html
>>
>>I can understand the effort required to "write this up"!  It appears you
>>now hold the coveted record for spark length out of CW coils!  I leave it
>>to others to come up with the "acronym" for that ;-))
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>       Terry
>>        Still proud holder the coveted GMHEICSLR* at 13.25 inches. :-))
>>
>>*General Motors High Energy Ignition Coil Spark Length Record
>>
>>Don't EVEN think of trying to take the coveted GMHEICSLR* away from me
>>either ;-)))
>

>Rules of engagement are important...   Is that the SGMHEICSLR? (SINGLE
>GM....) or are you claiming a record for any number of HEI coils.

I just used one.  If you could phase them I suppose you could run them out
of phase for 26 inch arcs???  but I only used on single coil to get the
13.25 inches.

>I am too lazy to look in the archives, but was that almost 14" spark with a
>cored or de-cored HEI coil?  I know you were driving it at somewhat above
>its design primary voltage (heh,heh)...

Decored and operating as a true single shot coil.  Stay about a shot every
5 seconds to keep the stress on the coil down.  When you get to about 1500
volts on the primary cap, the coil will cook.  Be sure to use a new coil to
get the best chance of it living through output pulses at 10X the design
voltage ;-))

>based on some numbers that Bob Wroblewski sent me, at 12Volts, the limiting
>current will be about 3.2 Amps (DC resistance is 3.7 ohms by working from Q
>measurement).  With the 3.6 mH inductance, this is a stored energy of a
>feeble 10-20 mJoule, which seems low ( I'd expect 50-100 mJ, stock).  As I
>recall, you were pumping a joule or so?

1.7uF 1500volts primary.  About 2 joules at 10kHz.  Don't touch it!!!!

I think I have a MicroSim model and more data around but I will have to dig
it  up....

cheers,

	Terry