sync gap blues

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

Hello all!

Well, after many many attempts, I think I have to give up on my modified sync
motor. It is a 1/40 hp motor, and I just can't get the rotor light enough to
allow it to drop into sync. I had it sync'ed with a lexan bar, 5" long, 1/2"
wide, and 1/4" thick, only 2 electrodes for a grand total of 60bps, which
caused lots of resonant problems.
The problem is/may be the following: It is a robbins and meyers motor that
was rated at 1600 rpm. An odd rpm. I think it may have been misprinted. I
think I modified and already sync motor, and so the hp is now uselessly low.

I spent the whole afternoon etching a copper ring around the copper clad pc
board I am now using as the rotor, and so anyway...very disappointed.
 If anyone has any suggestions, or maybe a really small motor they may want
to part with.... This one is about 3" diameter, and 4" long. not including
the shaft.

Back to the static gap for now, until I can get the other, non sync gap going
(its for a pole transformer coil) Thanks for any learned advice you may have
:)
Have a great holiday!!

Chris W