[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tuning TCs

>> Original Poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>> The mention of a fluorescent tube started me thinking, how about
>> enclosing
>> the tube in a light-tight PVC pipe with a photocell, and metering the
>> photocell as a quantitative measure of coil output?
>>
>> Gary Lau
>> Waltham, MA USA

>Original Poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>I like this idea, but one thing comes to mind:  It seems that if you
operate
>a TC with no spark discharge, don't you get a more powerful radio
>transmission and wouldn't that light the bulb brighter than if a discharge
>was being emanated from the topload?
>Any thoughts?
>Mike

That did occur to me, but I think unless one is varying the topload
configuration, the radiated e-field will be proportional to spark output.
What we're changing is primary tuning, and I have to believe that all other
things being the same, radiation will peak when optimal tuning is achieved.

Having said that however, I think there may be a problem when streamers grow
to the point of attaching to a target.  Not sure though.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA