Re: General Questions

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jason and all,

Jim's right - believe it! The world's largest pulse generator (Sandia's
awesome Z Accelerator) uses a swimming pool sized chamber full of deionized
water as the insulating medium for low impedance high voltage transmission
lines that connect 36 Marx Generators, delivering 20 million amperes of
current into a cylinder of tiny tungsten wires for fusion experiments. And,
once most of the gigantic 290 terawatt pulse has come and gone, the water
then breaks down, safely dissipating the small amount of energy that's left
over, covering the surface of the water with spidery lightning-like
discharges.
The water dielectric then "heals" for the next shot.

Check out:
  http://www.sandia.gov/media/z290.htm

And, if you've got a high speed internet connection, download the awesome
2.8 MB 150 DPI image... :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--