Re: A Little more than general questions lV

In a message dated 4/16/01 12:46:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  I've noted that some prefer to leave the secondary abit adjustable, now
>  what advantages or disadvantages come with a loose or tight coupling???

Wade,

If too tight, you'll get racing sparks on teh secondary and flash-overs
that will destroy the coil.   If too loose, the sparks will be shorter
and weaker.

>  Has anyone tried to place the primary inside of the secondary??? And if
>  so with what affects???

Greg Leyh did this on his giant electrum coil.  It works fine.

>  >
>  Picking a value for the capacitance of the primary tank circuit is kinda
>  bothering me. This value is going to play a very big roll at where this
>  device resonants........yes????

Yes, but another important role of the cap size, is in determining
the bang size (how much energy is dumped each time the gap fires).
Big bangs = long sparks (in general).

>  What are the advantages or disadvantages whae running at higher or lower
>  frequencies???

Lower is a little better.   25kHz to 500kHz is fine.

John Freau