Re: Sparks - Bright in the middle, how to verify it.

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> > Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> > Hello all,

> > Placing a grounded rod about 300mm from the terminal of my coil I get nice
> > sparks similar in appearance to lightning. At the center of these sparks
> > there is a 25mm segment which is much brighter than the rest. I would be
> > most grateful for an explanation for this phenomena.

	Depending on the exact way i (mis?)understand 'bright segment
	at the center', one possibility is that several segments
	at the end(s?) are running current thru one common 'arc channel',
	that is, that that segment is brighter because it is carrying
	more current.

	The recombintion time for gasses (time to stop conducting) is
	quite long.  A spark cahnnel, once formed, cam survive for
	're-use' if another suitable energy pulse floats along.
	Similarly, the light output is maintained, so a short pulse
	of current can leave a glowing trail alight for longer than
	the impulse lasts...

	best
	dwp