Re: Paralleling Inductors and Resitors

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Ryan!

Date: 31 January 2001 19:45
Subject: Paralleling Inductors and Resitors

>Original poster: "Ryan Ries by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <spud-at-pureinsanity-dot-net>

>I'm really just asking this for the fun of it, but in
ballasting a large
>transformer, would there be any strange effects in placing
resistors in
>parallel to inductors?  Considering how inductors work, and
the fact that
>resistors drain the supplied voltage, I was wondering about
this, but never
>tried it out for myself.

Simulations done by Terry and Deano have supported what an
electrical engineer by the name of G.W. Carter published in
1945, that a resistor in parallel with a coil provides
excellent damping of oscillations. (Carter was writing about
ways to prevent damage to mains power distribution
transformers in the event of lightning strikes on the power
lines, which can generate large amplitude oscillations as
the inductance of the power line resonates together with the
capacitance of the transformer like a TC primary circuit.)

Various postings on this topic have included the following