Re: MOT power supply

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Hhchicken1-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Chris!
The others on the list probably think i'm completely nuts but...
I use two MOTs in series (ripped from identical ovens tho it probably doesn't
matter), with the cores connected and primaries in parallel running straight
from 240v mains with no ballast.  Each HV output goes to one terminal of a
capacitor taken from the same microwave (thats 2 caps in total), each is
1.1uF 2000VAC.  The other side of the caps are connected via a string of two
HV diodes from the microwaves, and the tank circuit input is taked from
either side of the diode string to form a voltage doubler:

-----------------------------| |------+--------------
|MOT             MOT    1.1uF 2000Vac |             |
+{#               #}--|               _             |
{#}---|---------{#}  |               ^ microwave   ---
{#}  (~)240Vac  {#}  |               | diodes     HV to tank

Apparently this gives 12kv pulsed, which is plenty to run my Tesla coil,
which despite being amazingly inefficent gives me  12 inch sparks.  On a
better designed coil this could give up to 90 inch sparks according to
WinTesla!

Hope I've been of some help,
Henry Hallam