Re: new builder with wire question

In a message dated 1/9/01 3:15:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I'm interested in building a new tesla coil.  I have a 5.25" pvc pipe and a
>  15kv, 60mA transformer amoung other parts.  I've also been reading about 3
>  sets of plans to see how to make one.  My question is:  one set of plans
>  shows using 22 awg standed pvc insulated to 0.064 " (14 gauge) wire,  for a
>  price(higher) I can get teflon insulated very fine stranded (19 x 34) 22
>  awg wire in a 1000 ft spool (hopefully one length).  would this be better
>  that pvc insulated wire for the secondary  or should I stick with 26 gauge
>  magnetic wire like the other plans show.

I get the longest sparks using a lot of turns, perhaps 1500 to 1700
turns.  To achieve this, it's easiest to use magnet wire (not
magnetic wire).  I think 26 gauge will be perfect, if you make the
secondary about 28" high (or whatever height is needed to
obtain the number of turns I mentioned).  However the use
of this many secondary turns, will also require quite a few
primary turns.  I explain more about these concepts at my
website at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John Freau