Heavy glass insulator as a toroid mount.

Original poster: "Nathan Morris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <themfam-at-home-dot-com>

Hello list,
Today I modified a heavy glass insulator for use as a toroid mount.  After
allot of drilling with various files I broke out the propane torch and adjusted
the flame until it came to a fine point.  I applied the heat to the center of
the insulator and within seconds the top of it shattered.  I knocked down the
jagged edges and evened them out on a small grinding wheel.  I polished up the
grind marks with some fine grit sand paper and then washed it.  It looks very
cool and is already mounted on the top of my secondary.  The whole process took
about 1.5 hours, drilling included.  Note: Only the top of the insulator broke,
none of the bevels were damaged.  If I ever do this again I will score the
insulator for a more controlled break (I spent most of the time grinding)
Regards,
--Nate