Re: All pain no gain

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/8/01 12:17:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> What you really need is a decent RF counterpoise... A piece of screen on
> the floor (chicken wire, e.g.) would probably do nicely.  I happened to
> have a 4x4 sheet of copper which worked very nicely with a 15/30 coil.  No
> discernable RF on any of the power lines, etc.

Counterpoise sounds like a good way to go. Wire mesh is much better than
solid as it reduces eddy surrents.A large number of thin bare wires laid out
radially, (like a daisy) would be better yet.

> You should, for safety, also ground to earth ground (i.e. third pin of
> electrical outlet), however, that isn't a particularly good RF ground (and,
> actually, may make a fine antenna).

> You could ground to the third pin ground through a suitable RF choke; which
> would still allow DC and 60 Hz fault current to flow, but would block RF.

      Did I miss something here? If you block the RF going to ground then
you again have no RF ground.

Tesla list wrote:

> > Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>
> >
> > I wonder if trying to ground it to the metal faucet would be better than
> > hooking to the mains in my case where all the pipes are plastic and there
> is
> > no "Yard" to drive a pipe in. In my case it's an apartment. Output sparks
> > are about 30" and I've not have any trouble yet. If it were any bigger
> > output I would probably not run it at all.

> > I thought I read something like it wasn't a good ground, but maybe it's
> > better than nothing?

If your plumbing supply lines are indeed plastic, then your faucet is not a
ground. IMO it is an electrocution device if you wire to it !!

Matt D.