Re: Who is right?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "ebyng by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<ebyng-at-netlimit-dot-com>

> I hate to ask this, but...
>
> I was browsing through some old books at a used book store recently
> (yesterday) and i came accross a book devoted to the study of capacitors.
> It states that when stringing capacitors, in serial or in parallel, only
> the capacitance rateing changes, not the voltage rateing.  I cross
> referenced with a newer book, and it states that Both the capacitance and
> voltage ratings change in proportion to the number of capacitors connected.
> So...
> Who is right?  I'm tempted to stick with the newer book, but i'd just like
> to double check...

	The newer book is correct, of course.  So is a book I have which is
almost 120 years old.  This isn't new dope, and I suspect has been known
ever since quantitative expressions for capacitance and charge were
first created, probably  in the late 17th century.  Suspect old Ben
Franklin would have given the correct answer.

	Wonder if the first book didn 't really say that the voltage ratings of
THE INDIVIDUAL CAPACITORS remained the same?  It does.

Ed