Re: Coax Cable for High Voltage?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<Irrelative-at-aol-dot-com>

> Ok -- I wound my secondary the other day, so I'm getting closer to firing
> this thing up.  I was curious if its ok to use coaxial cable to hook
> everything up (I have a huge spool of this stuff thats just sitting in my
> basement).  Will it cary the power efficiently enough?  Am I just being
> cheap?  Anyway, just want to run it by you guys.  On a side note, I'm having
> more trouble than I should soldering my secondary wire to my grounding plate
> at the base of my PVC.  Any suggestions?  Thanks guys -- this list is such a
> great resource.
>                                                         Justin

Hi Justin...

I , like you have used the plate soldered to the wire assy. for my
secondary ground
point.  for a good solder connection try this....    sand the plate till it
is shiny (
clean metal) and get some flux ( or fluxed solder) and heat the plate and
apply the
solder as the plate is heating ( i used a 40 watt iron, but a stove or
propane torch
works well too use pliers to hold the plate)  clean about 5" of the
secondary wire of
its enamel and solder the wire that is exposed. Next, coil the soldered
wire till it
looks like a small spiral about 1" in diameter. Reheat the plate till the
solder is
fluid and place the wire spiral into the melted solder on the plate. This
should give
you a rather good connection...  works for me !!  :)

Scot D