RE: Why do TC's use line filters wired in reverse

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Since I'm feeling so verbose today I'll take a crack at it ;-)

Your filter configuration is a little unusual, I'm not sure what the purpose
of the middle terminals is.  I would recommend connecting your NST to the
LINE terminals 1A & 3A, and your power source to LOAD terminals 1B & 3B.
Connect 3rd wire AC ground (not RF ground) to case (and/or maybe terminal
2B?).  This configuration has the caps-to-ground on the "quiet" side of the
common-mode inductors, forming a proper low pass filter.

I think a single 27 Amp filter should be adequate for your 1 or 2 15/60
NST's.  Your fuse or circuit breaker would probably trip before you got
anywhere near overcurrenting a single filter.  If you really wanted to be
conservative on the current rating, you could wire the "B" terminals of two
filters in parallel and have each pair of "A" terminals going to individual
NST's.  I don't know how you'd configure two in series - I don't think they
were designed to be cascaded.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA