Re: Primary RMS Current calculation

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Terry and all,

The equations in MMCPower4.html do not seem to include the surge impedance
of the primary circuit which I thought was important to calculate the RMS
current in the primary ???  (Also I thought the conduction time of the
spark gap would have an effect ???)

I'm not sure how the W0 equation determines the power dissipation
in the capacitors without knowing the load (primary) impedance ???  It is
intuitive to me that using few primary turns would result in a higher RMS
current,  and more of the cap's energy would be dissipated in its internal
resistance.  Conversely I would think that a large primary would present a
higher impedance and result in less dissipation in the ESR of the tank
capacitor.

I am probably overlooking something here,  as it is the first time that I
have looked at this.  In the past I have run a simulation on Microsim to
determine the RMS current through the tank capacitor.

Feel free to flame me if I haven't been paying attention again ;-)

							Cheers,

							-Richie,