Re: frozen ground ground

>I'm wanting to ground my tesla coil but because of the

>time of year, there is no way of driving a stake into

>the ground or even turning some earth to put a piece of

>flashing in.

         Power auger?
         Hot water applied to a 'well point' type device?
         In any case, many find that grounds are of secondary
         importance.  (i like 'em myself...)

>Also I don't know if the frozen ground would act too well
>of a ground anyway.

         Exactly.
         check the archives.  This has been discussed.
         Short Version:
         It is well known to professionals (power companies,
         etc) that ground rods must be UNDER the frost line to
         be effective.
         Additionally, it was reported 'here' that coil
         systems needed retuning when the ground froze, then,
         if operated at power, need retuning AGAIN as the
         ground currents melted the frozen ground.

         Physics:
         Water (pure) and ice are dandy insulators.
         Conduction thru water is by means of ions from
         contaminants.  Freezing immobilizes these, so ice is
         an insulator, whether clean or dirty.

>How would you guys suggest I ground my coil?

         Some run without (apparent) ground.
         Some add a counterpoise.
         ROughly:
         As large a metal surface as can be set up, size
         depends on power level.  Simply laying foil,
         or chicken wire or .... on the ground should do.

>I was thinking about driving 20 or 30 really long nails

>into a piece of plywood then connecting them all on the

>top of the board. I would then place that on the ground

>and jump on it or something to push into into the earth

>at least some.

         Might work.
         (think of the Indian fakir and his bed of nails:
         the distributed number of points would be Very Hard
         to drive in).  If trying, I'd wire the nails, then
         drive each.  But.  If ground is still frozen,
         still a poor 'ground'.

>Does anyone think that might work?

         Iffy, i think.  cf above.  frozen ground is a poor
         (very poor) conductor.

>If not, do any of you have a suggestion of how I might

>ground the coil?
         Counterpoise, as above...

         best
         dwp