Re: NON-static shocks from unpowered secondary?

> I've noticed small shocks for my coil, even when its been
> off for half an hour. I tried discharging myself before touching it, but
> could still feel the small tingles from the
> coil. My  coil is securely grounded. It's interesting to hear
> that someone else has experienced the same thing.

	Several somebodies.
	Its in the archives many times.
	The spark (or corona) creates a low level, inefficient
	rectifier.  (inefficient means 10kv or so of DC in the presence
	of the 100s kv of AC.  This 'charges' the 'incidental'
	electret of the coil form.  This can store the charge for
	'days'.

	(A purpose built electret is more complex to make, the incidental
	one is quite effective from the power levels inherent in
	a Tesla coil...)

	In an electret, an initial discharge will bleed off charge near the
	future.  Over time, more will leak to the surface, to zap the
	unwary a second time... (third, fourth....)
	best
	dwp