Re: Capacitor in series with transformer or S.G ? What is right?

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 06:35 PM 30/01/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Original poster: "manuel font by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<teslatechcr-at-yahoo-dot-com>

>Hi all, this is the question:  I see two methods to
>connect the spark gap and the capacitor.  One is the
>spark gap connecting in series with the transformer.
>The another one is the capacitor in series with the
>transformer.  Now, I heard one of those methods causes
>high stress in the transformer.  What is the right
>form?
>
>Cheers,
>Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The tank circuit consists of the cap, gap, and primary, all of
which are connected in series.  The recommended connection for
your NST, OBIT, Pig, or whatever is across the GAP, as it will
put less stress on the transformer.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca