Re: Weird Feeling

Hi ??

On 31 Jan 2002, at 7:16, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "centauri by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<centauri010-at-attbi-dot-com>

> Hi,
>         I was outside messing with a transformer today and I was trying
to get
> it to arc from a wire connected to one of the HV output to the case. When
I put
> my hand near the wire connected to the output it felt like it was
vibrating. I
> was afraid to pick the wire up so I didn't. Then I picked the wire up and
> plugged it in with the wire already in my hand and if I put my finger in a
> certain place it caused a sort of burning tickle and made it feel like
the hair
> on my finger was standing up. What was going on?

You were very wise to be afraid. What is going on is electrostatic
coupling between your hand and the wire. You might well have been a
statistic but for a bit of luck. You should *NEVER* do what you were
trying to do. ALWAYS use a well insulated safety stick to firmly hold
a *GROUNDED* wire to draw an arc. (Quiz - Why an insulated stick if
the wire is grounded?)
      I think everyone who joins this list as a first-time builder
should be made aware of the excellent list safety FAQs.

http://www.pupman-dot-com/safety.htm

http://www.pupman-dot-com/safety2.htm

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Safety/safety.htm

Malcolm