Re: Bicycle Wheel for toroid?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

> That said I think that using bicycle wheels as toroids may have advantages;
> after all the rim is suspended on spokes which should interact very
little with
> the magnetic field and the small surface area afforded by the spokes should
> mean there will be little extra capacitance between the hub and the rim
and to
> be added to the "toroidal" capacitance at the rim.
>
> Are my assumptions correct?

You are right about the small interference of the spokes with the
magnetic
field, but there is no great difference between a bicycle wheel and a
solid disk (with the same outer shape) regarding electric fields. The
capacitance is practically the same. The electric field around the
spokes is greater than it would be in a solid surface, but as most of
the
charge would concentrate around the rim of the wheel, no significant
effects are expected.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz