Re: Ground, etc. (Re: A few Q's)

Tesla list wrote:

><jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

>> DWP Replied-
>> I'd not expect (nor did i mention) harm.  Just useful to
>> know that cement is a fairish conductor.  I' would suspect
>> most of the current that makes it tot he 'cylinder head'
>> (or whatever) will run right into the concrete.

> Surely you don’t mean it will not continue down the line to the
>ground rod?

	Why should it?
	Concrete is a good conductor.
	There are Square Feet of contact area between the concrete
	floor and the 'ground'.  Should be a good path, electrically.

	The wire to the external ground rod is longish, hence
	inductive, hence, relatively high impedance.  The ground
	rod is skinny, has little surface area.  On the other
	hand it is deeper (probably?) maybe into better
	conductivity soil.  Hence: I'd expect current to take the
	shortest, lowest impedance path.
	(It would be instructive, if an RF ammeter is handy, to
	take some measurements...)

	I am not saying take the ground rod away, but understanding
	how it works may be of interest...

> I assumed you mean if I left it there w/o any other ground it
> would pass into the floor correct?

	Yep.  and maybe even with the other ground...

> Again, the head is just a junction point there is a line out from
> it to the pole in the ground.

	cf above.

> I will insulate it from the floor regardless.

	This may decrease the goodness of the ground.
	It will try and force the current thru the ground wire.

> Another this I see is the avoidance of screws of any type securing
> the secondary down to it's form. I made two "L" brackets out of plexi,
> gooped one side to the side of the end cap on the secondary, and
> screwed the other side down to the plywood base. This way I can
> remove the screws and pull the secondary out to move the whole unit
> if I have to.

> Surely these two small sheet metal screws attached to wood won't pose
> a problem will they?

	Can't say for sure, but i expect you are right.

> Thanks,
> Jim

	best
	dwp