First Attempt at Light goes down in flames!!!!! Whats WRONG!!!!

Original poster: "Ken Stevens by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bluewaterdiver-at-earthlink-dot-net>

OK, I am officially bummed!!!!!!

I was sick all weekend and didn't get to work on my coil. So here I am,
the day before Halloween and it looks like I'll be without coil!!!! :o(

I have been following Greg Hunters Twin MOT design. My Primary is 14
turns (tapped at 6) of .25 copper tubing 30 degree angle inverted cone.
Secondary is 940 turns of 22ga. I have a Geek Group MMC, .055 uF. A pair
of static gaps, one safety and one main. I have the voltage doubler
board and a pair of MOTs. The top load is a 4" drier duct toroid 27"
around.

First attempt just set off the Main Gap without any sparks. OK, widen
the gap a turn.

This time I notice sparks in the MMC. Found an end lead had broken loose
and was arcing. Right arc, wrong place!!! Fixed that and then tried
again.

This time there was arcing on the other side of the MMC... AND
FLAMES!!!!! The last cap had arced to the bolt holding the board down.
It arced out the side of the cap, blowing a hole in the side!!! Weird!!!
OK, have extras, replaced it and insulated it.

Try it again. Well, now all it's doing is either buzzing, like a high
tension line, but no gaps arcing and no sparks, or if I adjust the gaps
down slightly they arc, but no sparks? What's the deal?

I tried changing the tap point. Not much change, and no sparks. Took off
the torroid and fan out a wire... No go. All thru this, it either arcs
the gaps only or buzzes like a high tension line.

I tried no doubler, no ballast cap, narrowed the gaps, widened the gaps.
ANY combonation I could think of, I tried!!! I finally tried to coax it
with a grounded wire near the secondary output, but to no avail. What am
I missing???

I wasn't hoping for much, but nothing is hard to deal with after all
this effort!!!! And trying to get it ready for tomorrow... I was looking
forward to that!!!!!

Anyone have a clue for me?? I can supply pics if you think it'll help.

Anything is greatly appreciated.

Darn I was hoping for a show for Halloween... well, theirs always
Christmas!!!

Ken Stevens