RE: PDT (Pig) failure modes

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Godfrey,
With the core--transformer--out of the tank, I was able to observe with a
minimal voltage test some smoke coming out of the windings.  No ballast, but
limited variac setting. I did not mention this before. It is at this point
that I pronounced the PDT dead beyond my realistic ability too effect
repair.
Dave

Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>

Hello Dave

I think you should take the transformer back out of the tank and insert a
ballast that will significantly reduce the shortcircuit current. Then bring
up the voltage slowly with a variac. You might beable to see, hear, or smell
something that will provide clues to the problem.

Godfrey Loudner