Re: Mag amps and generators ?

At 08:43 AM 4/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz
> <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>
> >
> > Please cite a credible reference for this?  I find it hard to believe that
> > Tesla possessed the technology to measure or generate anything beyond
> > transients at such frequencies.
>
>         He could have, but the question is did he and did he record his
>results?  If so, I haven't seen the stuff and would sure like to.  For
>sure Hertz did invent a spark gap transmitter, measure its wavelength,
>and publish his results in very clear terms.  Circa 1887.  Bose in India
>generated 50 GHz!!!! signals in 1898 and used them to perform
>millimeter-wave experiments of various optical phenomena.  His work is
>pretty well documented and he was recognized as a real pioneer when he
>demonstrated stuff to the Royal Society in Britain.

Of even more significance for both Hertz and Bose is that they predicted
the results of the experiment before they did them, as opposed to just
blind empiricism.  The experiments were more constructed as a test of
electromagnetic theory, than a way to discover the theory.

I get the general impression that Tesla, a very creative and original guy,
wasn't so much a theoretician, but more a pragmatist or empiricist, with a
very good conceptual understanding (at some level) of the theory. Perhaps
the distinction is more one of scientist vs engineer?  (and being more one
of the latter than the former myself, I find this perfectly fine and
desirable).  And, of course, Tesla was a much better showman, promoter, and
raconteur than I'll ever be.