Re: OLTC maggy

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 12:30 04/04/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>In adition to my previous post:
>Has someone considered building "Off line 3 coil
>system"?

The coupling in a typical OLTC (well, both of the OLTCs that exist) is so
high that it might as well be a magnifier. Terry's and mine both quench
after about 3 cycles, suggesting a coupling around 0.25. Having said that,
if the energy transfer were speeded up even more, like to 0.5 or 1 cycle,
it could reduce "gap" losses. This is a good thing because the IGBTs are
probably more lossy than a real spark gap. Are transfer times this fast
possible with a maggie? Maybe ACMQ could advise us here?

On the other hand, one of the problems I had with the OLTC was that the
secondary kicks back into the primary after turnoff, and partially
recharges the tank cap via the flywheel diodes. This interferes with the
charge circuit and makes the bangs smaller than they should be. The higher
the coupling, the worse this effect is. So on a magnifier it might be
unacceptable. It can be combated by just increasing the supply voltage, but
then if the cap were to start off fully discharged for some reason, you'd
blow something out.

Steve C.