MOT Power Supply Questions

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

I'd like to build a MOT power supply and had a few questions.

1.  I am going to use 4 identical MOTs wired in series.  Does anyone have
the proper hook-up diagrams for doing this "the best way."  I assume we want
to wire the middle two MOTs referenced at ground and then have only one
transformer at either side floating at 2400VAC.  Also, I seen some diagrams
where it appears they use two MOTs (opposed) to provide isolation for the
120VAC input.  Any reason why they are doing this?  It doesn't appear to be
implementing any type of ballasting.

2.  Regarding current ballasting, what is the current trend.  Do we remove
all shunts from the MOT or can the MOT with the shunts still installed give
us the current we need. (oil submersed)  Also, anyone have luck in running
these things to the max (under oil) without any ballasting at all???  I
think someone before stated that these things will self-limit the current at
a point where operation (without total destruction) is possible.

3.  These MOTs will be submersed in mineral oil.  What type of enclosures
(readily available) have you guys had luck with?  Anything off the shelf
that works extremely well???

I'm hoping to get at least 5-6kW from this thing.  (Fingers crossed!)

MOTs are a new thing for me, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks

The Captain