RE: ...sounds totally newbie, but...

If you're just trying to tune the primary, etc... and want to dump the
energy, why not a resistor in the circuit that provides a load comparable
to that of the secondary.   I believe that Terry modeled the secondary load
as a 220K resistor with reasonable success (comparing waveforms against
spice).. So.. if you could transform that 220K at the secondary to
something equivalent in the primary.

Another way to choose the resistor would be to calculate the approximate
reactance of the primary at your approximate resonant frequency and then
use a resistor that is 10-15 times that (i.e. a loaded Q of 10-15).  Sample
calculation: 0.08 uF primary capacitor, 200 kHz...  about 10 ohms
reactance.. so a 100-150 ohm resistor  might work..