RE: Coating Secondary with Epoxy

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Forget all the fancy, scmancy coatings.  Simple polyurethane finish (found
in most hardware stores) works excellent
and cures overnight.  Or another coating i use (which the infamous Ed
Wingate swears by) is orange shellac.  I use orange
shellac on my larger coils.  Works excellent.

Hopefully your coil is a small one.  I'd just scrap it and wind another one
then mess around with that
sticky epoxy stuff.  Its a hard lesson learned as Dr. Resonance states
below.

Dan

It will take a long time, usually 5-6 weeks to get all the residuals off the
coil.  You can speed this up by putting it near a hot boiler or in an oven
for 8-12 hours.  If you don't do this it will attract dust from the air and
begin to look really messy in a week.

It's always better to use a high voltage air dry varnish than the epoxy
compounds which are really not made for high voltage, and, in fact, may
contain some voids which offer no insulation protection whatsoever near the
wire itself.  Dolph's AC-43 is the best choice for small magnet wire coils.

Forget these messy epoxies that never seem to cure properly.  Don't feel
bad, I made this same mistake on a coil myself years ago.  It took mine 9
weeks to cure and I finally had to sit it next to a large boiler for 4 days
to drive off the residuals.

Dr. Resonance