RE: Differential voltage probes 3

Hi Steve,

At 11:26 PM 6/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey Terry,
>
>I know very little about the technology that we use for measurements, but
>i can already see how this simple probe will be well worth the $45 to put
>it together!  Ok, so its super fast and clean, and can take up to what, 10kv?

Right now we are thinking just 1kV RMS.  It would have a "safety" margin to
5kV peak for spikes and other things, but really a less than 1000 volt thing.

>Is it possible to go for 20 or 30kv ratings by seriesing more of these SMT
>resistors?

Yes ;-))

>  How much bandwidth would you loose?

That is a big question there.  A LOT depends on how good the new Ohmite
resistors are...

>Im alreade getting sick of my plain old probes, i want something that will
>be able to measure into the kv without me blowing any more channels on my
>scope!  And wow, they put it all in a singe 8(assuming from the diagram)
>pin chip?  Cant beat that, though you better make sure your soldering
>skills are up to par before you go and solder that one on.  $9 is a bit steep.

That chip is 1/4 the size of your finger nail...  You could hardly read the
numbers on it...  Soldering this little surface mount stuff is an issue the
"simple" version was meant to avoid.  But getting to 150MHz...  Sort of
like soldering fly's legs...  Probably have to "offer" the board pre-built
and tested since I see what "unskilled" surface mount soldering can "do"
every day =:O

>Ok, so excuse my ignorance, but how is this probe going to be packaged?
>Will there be a little box tha plugs into the scope, and then a shielded
>cable with your 2 tips?  Will this cable mud things up?

Not sure yet...  A marketing thing...  Maybe packed with happy meals, or
that new Harry Potter book :o)))  Engineers just design this stuff, we
don't "package" it :-D

>Well, it sounds cool!  When its all done in working, im sure at least a
>few people would like to buy one.  I bet you could make a bunch of printed
>boards that size for not too much money.  What do you think a final cost
>may be?  $60?  i guess you need a box and some cable, the cost of the PCB.

I think it would be real cheap. Right now the board would be very small so
a ton could be packed on one PCB panel...  Not out to make any profit or
anything...

>I dont have to tell you to let us know how your first setup goes!

I hope to get the parts ordered up this weekend if there are no other ideas
that would change things.

Cheers,

         Terry