RE: Differential voltage probes 3

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Terry,

now im getting the gist.

>Right now we are thinking just 1kV RMS.  It would have a "safety" margin
>to 5kV peak for spikes and other things, but really a less than 1000 volt
>thing.

Yeah, even that is good for lots of things!

>>Is it possible to go for 20 or 30kv ratings by seriesing more of these
>>SMT resistors?
>
>Yes ;-))
>
>>  How much bandwidth would you loose?
>
>That is a big question there.  A LOT depends on how good the new Ohmite
>resistors are...

Well, lets hope!

>>Im already getting sick of my plain old probes, i want something that
>>will be able to measure into the kv without me blowing any more channels
>>on my scope!  And wow, they put it all in a singe 8(assuming from the
>>diagram) pin chip?  Cant beat that, though you better make sure your
>>soldering skills are up to par before you go and solder that one on.  $9
>>is a bit steep.
>
>That chip is 1/4 the size of your finger nail...  You could hardly read
>the numbers on it...  Soldering this little surface mount stuff is an
>issue the "simple" version was meant to avoid.  But getting to
>150MHz...  Sort of like soldering fly's legs...  Probably have to "offer"
>the board pre-built and tested since I see what "unskilled" surface mount
>soldering can "do" every day =:O

Im guessing you know how to solder this stuff??!  Sounds terrible, unless
your a machine!

>>Ok, so excuse my ignorance, but how is this probe going to be packaged?
>>Will there be a little box tha plugs into the scope, and then a shielded
>>cable with your 2 tips?  Will this cable mud things up?
>
>Not sure yet...  A marketing thing...  Maybe packed with happy meals, or
>that new Harry Potter book :o)))

LOL!

I guess "package" was a poorly chosen word...

  Engineers just design
>this stuff, we don't "package" it :-D

Isnt the package(or putting it together) part of the design?

Now since ive read some other posts, i see how it all fits together ;)

Steve Ward