From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 2:52 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Input power measurement

Original poster: "Skip Greiner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>

Hi all
I am using a 9kv at 120ma NST. In operation I use an iron vane ammeter
(known to be within 5% accuracy) to monitor current. My mains voltage is
nominally 117V. Interestingly the current into the NST is about 17A when
running in resonant mode. It is my understanding that an iron vane meter
reads true input current regardless of waveform. Therefore my input power to
the NST is nearly 2000 watts.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who can help explain the discrepancy
between the 1080va rating of the "current limited NST and the measured input
in resonant mode operation.
Skip