Re: MMC wiring

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Ok, I want to make sure I'll do this right the next time so I won't repeat
 > the same mistake over, and over etc. What is the best way to wire two
 > strings of MMCs together? I'm thinking the simplest way would be to solder
 > a wire across the end leads, then solder the wires that go to the primary
 > and spark gap onto those new connections. Would this work? Is there a
 > better (not overly expensive) way?

I recommend the method that I use. I mount all the capacitors and
resistors in holes made in an acrylic plate, twist and solder all the
connections on the under side, clip away excesses of wire (and even use
the clipped leads to make interconnections between the strings),
insert the plate in a PVC tube, and mount screw terminals in the tube.
Solid, easy to handle, and safe. I get a "big capacitor", and can
interconnect more than one if I want, or if all the strings don't
fit inside a single tube. I have this one shown below with one string
and another with three strings. In parallel with each capacitor are
two small 10 MOhms resistors in series. In the other I used 4, mounted
in a zig-zag pattern alongside the capacitor strings.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/mres41.jpg
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/mres4c1.jpg

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz