Re: transformers in oil?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/25/03 1:21:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>i have a MOT, so i would take that transformer, place it in a container and
>then fill the container with oil? i would have to drill holes in the
>container for the wires to extend out. but as long as it's airtight it
>should work? i was thinking that if you could have an oil pump that
>circulates the oil, like a transmission that has an oil cooler, that this
>might be even better. would this work? also, i would think that the colder
>the oil, the better- right?

        An oil cooler similar to the kind used in a 1950-1970 vintage VW
Beetle would be great, IF you could find a clean one. You don't want a
system with flecks of metal or rust in it. You might consider putting the
MOT in an oil bath inside one out those ~$60 mini refrigerator "cubes" . It
makes sense that a cooler environment will help if you are going to push
the envelope, but I don't know of anyone who has done a study of cooling
cost vs performance.

>i think that i should do this in the garage, my wife would kill me if i
>spilled oil in the living room. <:)
>
>jlbrady -richmond, va.

        This is absolutely necessary for coiler longevity!  ;-)))

BTW, does anyone know the electrical properties of pure ethylene glycol
(Antifreeze)? I know it  melts at -13C (8F) boils at 197C (387F) , ignites
at 398C (748F), and the flash point of the vapor is 111C (232F) -at- 8% in
air, but I can't seem to find a reference for its dielectric constant or
conductivity.

Matt D.