Re: pole pig current limiting

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > The "Poor Man's Ballast" does work well for short runs with a potential
 > transformer (3-3.5kW), however for higher power transformers such as pole
 > transformers
 > you really need to get a good arc welder or a nice chunk of iron core to
 > wind your own ballast.
 >
 > A Lincoln 220AC arc welder can be had used for less than $100.00 and provide
 > up to at least 100A of adjustable current limiting.  Ebay frequently has
 > lots of these
 > as well as your local welding dealer.  New they are about $250.00

Dan, list,

Lest someone be running around looking for a "Lincoln 220AC", which does
not exist, the two model
Lincoln arc welders that have worked well for me are:

AC-225C- moveable shunt current control, lighter duty and more compact.

AC-225-S-more heavy duty, tapped/switched current control, ~ twice the size
of the 225C physically.

Ed Wingate RATCB