Re: Magnifier web page

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

 > You say that 50% RMS to peak voltage ratio can be exceeded by an induction
 > coil
 > and that 6th order versions are possible -
 > does this mean that it is possible to use an induction coil as a driver in a
 > magnifier setup?

In principle, yes. In the sense that an induction coil is a kind of
Tesla coil where the input energy is in the primary inductor.

 > What kind of induction coil would be suitable
 > you mentioned the Rhumkorff design -does this mean the driver would have to
 > be just like one of those "antique" laboratory-type coils with  double ended
 > secondaries
 > or could something more modern like an ignition coil be used, and would the
 > iron core have to be removed or not?

Only the transformer is important. The shape is a question of
construction
convenience. Induction coils have usually a secondary of very high
inductance because the primary coil also has to have significant
inductance. Otherwise the input energy would be not enough to charge
the output capacitance to a high voltage.

 > Is possible that networks related to induction coils -but without magnetic
 > coupling- could be devised in a similar way to the multiple-resonant
 > networks which are  related to Tesla coils?

Yes. Multiple resonance networks without magnetic coupling are the
most "natural" form for them.

 > Would it be possible to provide some of the calculations which are involved
 > in the design of induction coils as these are different to those for Tesla
 > coils.

The formulas are in my papers about multiple resonance networks:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/papers
They were implemented in the programs available at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs
See specially the program mrn6, that designs 6th-order networks.

 > Also,  is it possible that  the voltage from an induction-driven magnifier
 > could exceed that of a normal Tesla coil?

This is difficult. With the usual values used in
a Tesla coil the input current would be too high. The classical
solution for this is to increase the impedance level, but this
also lowers the operating frequency, because the output capacitance
is large. With a large output inductance required, it's difficult
to build a coil with high enough insulation. It's dufficult then
to come out with something simpler than a classical induction coil.
I am not sure if a 6th-order system would result in less problems.
Take a look at the program and see if you can arrive at a
feasible design.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz