RE: will my mmc blow up?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

If your MMC consists of nine 2kV units, I come out with a rating of 18kV
for the string.  Fine for a 10kV NST, but I don't see where you get 28kV?

You didn't indicate the cap uF value or your NST current rating, so I can't
determine if it's close to mains-resonance.  Bear in mind that that the
static gap width will determine the actual maximum voltage developed across
your cap, and this could be far in excess of 1.414*10kV if the gap is too
wide, particularly if your cap is close to mains-resonance.

The answer to your question is your cap will be fine for as long as you
wish to run it, IF your gap width is properly set.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: Gerwazy WP <hardtmutha1-at-wp.pl>

Hi,

I`ve got 10kV NST, so on my mmc string it will be about 28kV and my mmc is
made from 9 caps in series rated for DC 2000V and for AC 700V.

Can I run them for about 20-30sec ? or it will blow up after 1sec ?

ohh and i`m using WIMA MKP 10, rated -2000, ~700 caps

cheers,
hardtmuth