Re: Charging inductors for resonant charging

 > Your big resonant charging gadget sounds interesting.  More details
 > including expected results?  Someone here posted a lot of pictures of
 > his more or less professional TC which was truck mounted as I recall and
 > used resonant charging.  Awesome device and your proposed one seems to
 > be about the same size.

Well.. I've got this stuff piling up in the garage and beside the house, and
I figured I should get off my rear and actually build something with it.  My
wife put the kibosh on the pulse power fusor,.  I'm planning to find a
decent trailer to mount all the stuff on (to make storing it, and taking it
to somewhere that people won't complain too loudly when I run it, easier).

It's fundamentally a musical instrument. No, really...   A set of multiple
coils, each fired by triggered spark gaps.  It needs to be a DC supply
because I don't want the 120Hz tone.  I was originally contemplating a
series of rotary gaps with different numbers of electrodes (sort of a high
voltage Hammond B3 concept), and may still need to go that route, but the
idea of high rep rate triggered gaps is just too appealing in  a control
sense.

I have two choices for the DC supply.  One is basically a single phase
transformer, rectifier, filter capacitor scheme (terrifying stored energy,
really!), which I can basically plug into the wall (what's a mere
40-50Amps.. the neighbors lights won't dim too much).  The other is a 30kV,
300mA DC supply that runs off three phase (6 big 8020A rectifiers in a tank
of oil).  The problem is that three phase is just not commonly available, so
I could either do the rotary converter thing (find a surplus 15-20 HP motor,
for instance) or a surplus 3phase generator. Now that I write this, I
realize that it could be a pretty crummy generator, since I don't need great
frequency control.

Either way, I need a bunch of charging reactors (one for each coil)..
although, It's possible I could share one reactor among all coils and put
the blocking diode after the reactor, one diode per TC primary.  Somehow,
though, I don't think it would be compatible with classic resonant charging.

I suppose I could not fool with resonant charging, and just use the reactor
to block the transient, and not count on it storing any energy, in which
case it could be a lot smaller.