RE: NSTand PT replacement xmfrs

Original poster: "David Trimmell" <humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com>

Dan, all, vary true that Silicon is certainly replacing the SG, but ease
of use, and expense is still on the horizon. Here is an example: a
couple months ago I had the yin for some good old fashion SGTC sparks,
so I rigged up one using a existing 4" coil with old RQ/TCBR gap, old
home rolled cap (built in 1996) and a 12KV60mA (new neon obtained from
e-bay last winter for $17 +shipping) and after guestimating resonance
and four hours labor I had 36"+ sparks! So far with considerably more
capital investment (not factoring in free samples of IGBT's $40+/each
value) I have yet to get over 25" sparks, and only reliably get 16-20"
sparks. Now I am only using a Half-Bridge and still using a ProtoBoard,
so I expect much better results in the future with improvements.

SO, NOTHING can beat the Spark Gap Tesla Coil with "ease of
construction" -vs- performance! IMHO!

This means that I am in no way opposed to these great advancements of
coiling technology!!! Got to love it...

Regards,

David Trimmell

PS. I have a couple of the IGBT's that failed and I opened the package
to expose the guts, will post pictures of this great threat to the spark
gap some time soon.