RE: "SSTC" Reliability

Original poster: "Denicolai, Marco" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Hi Steve,

My "old" SSTC coil Thor (IGBT, 5 kW, 3 m long streamers) has been
running since January 2003 about once/twice a week, including several
extended runs, without a single failure. And it's still working as I
write. I have began to believe that SSTC don't all eventually fail.

True also that before January 2003 (and a lot of
modifications/revisions) Thor had a very long history of failures. The
success and joy of playing with it has been very well counterbalanced by
the sadness and tears from the countless damages and setbacks.

So there is a hope to build a long-lasting SSTC, after all :)

Best Regards