Re: Side-wise Vectors?????

Original poster: "boris petkovic" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,
You got me thinking.See me additional thoughts.

 >  >  > All:  This is an old Q that won't go away, if
 >  > electricity can escape, what
 >  >  > path will it take?
-----
Old Q but a  difficult one to answer.
Quite unpredictable sometimes.R.Hull and Tesla 100
years before him,both made experiments where long
magnifer arc approached grounded metal stick target
just to continue passing near it,completely ignoring
attachment.I  heard somebody sayed once some VTTCs
behaved similary.
-----

 >  Of course the discharge will
 > take
 >  > the path of least
 >  >  > resistance, but why does it 'turn'?
-----
I think I can explain ,partly at least .
I find it is a feature of complicated TC spark
dynamics where spark driving mode and plasma dynamics
interferes with space charge.
Generally,leaders incline to propagate in the
direction of the largest total E-field vector.
The problem is:The vector isn't determined only by a
coil conductors field but also by local space charges
brought in the gap via spark as well.
To get some idea what's going on,one must have some
basic knowledge of a long spark structure
theory:streamer zone,leader head,leader charge
cover,leader channel.
As soon as spark gets somewhat longer,forget about
coil field significant influence.It's spark as
existing structure,particulary end of it that governs
the game.
To cut long story short,theoretical and experimental
considerations show that new portion of leader tends
to propagate bypassing already existing streamer zone
in a very front of it.Than new portion of leader
creates its own streamer zone and so on.Registration
devices (electron image converters and such) showed
the streamer zone rotation:it's not a smooth but a
discrete one.I think it's been discovered by VPG
experimets (single shot monopolar pulse)
The leader head circumscribes sorta of spiral about
its axis resulting in peculiar trajectory.

TCs are way more complicated machines:neither
monopolar pulse;neither single shot mode driven.
But that isn't important for this stage of
discussion.Bottom line is I stick to explanation where
local E-fields and spark plasma dynamics are prime
suspects for a weird spark behaviour.
Of course,until somebody proves me wrong.

Take care,
boris