Re: Tesla Coil - Internal Arcing on Secondary

Original poster: Brady Hauth <bhauth@xxxxxxxxx>

>  > I'm confused to what the 7 stage marx generator is doing???

It increases the MOT's 2kv to ~13kv, depending on spark gap spacing.

> I used a 2-stage modified Marx to double the voltage of a
> beefy 7.5kV transformer once to run a Tesla coil. The Marx caps
> doubled as the primary caps and the circuit effectively had three
> gaps in series. The Marx bit used chokes as charging elements rather
> than resistors.

I'm doing exactly the same thing, except with a MOT and 7 stages, and
instead of "real" chokes I drilled out the secondary on transformers.
Ah the joys of low-budget high voltage. :-)

Anyway, I'm still looking for ideas on how to stop the arcing.