Re: first coil progress...

Hi Gary,

I agree that with no secondary, there is no overvoltage issue as long as all the energy is burned in the sparkgap and any other resistance in the primary before the next bang then there is no accumulative effect. The capacitor will charge up the same as with the first bang since the initial conditions are the same. Seems like one could compute the RMS current by taking the power dissapated (bang_energy * BPS) and equating this to Irms^2 * Rpri and solving for Irms. Of course one would need to know the total resistance of the primary including the SG. This might be a good sanity check.

With the secondary removed, there are no pri to sec trades. The oscillations remains in the primary and exponentially decays as the energy is dissapated in its resistance. If 30% of the energy is dissapated in the primary with a secondary present and 100% of the energy is dissapated in the primary without a secondary, then it seems like the RMS current would need to go up by a factor of about 1.8 (sqrt 100/30). Of course, if 50% of the energy is lost in the primary with the secondary then the RMS current will go up by only 1.4 (sqrt 100/50).Maybe the simulations need a revisit.to see what the losses are in the primary with a normally operating coil.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

Concerning my belief that running a complete primary circuit with no
secondary would increase the RMS current through the cap - Terry's
simulation and response takes me by surprise!  I had always heard that
this was not a safe thing to do, and reasoned that by removing the
secondary and eliminating any quenching, the peak current remains the
same, but you just get more pri-sec trades in the same bang-interval, so
wouldn't this raise the RMS current?  Or are the gap losses so huge that
what isn't transferred to the secondary is mostly burned up in the gap?

It would make an interesting experiment to place a thermocouple on one's
cap and note the temperature rise with and without the secondary in
place.  If the "hazard" of running without a secondary is indeed just
another Tesla Coil myth, I'd like to expose it.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I was under the impression he was running a xmfr, spark gap, and
> capacitor without any inductor, either pri or sec.  With a very low
> inductance the Q would rise dramatically and certainly enough to blow
> any nst is short order.
>
> My intention was a warn him not to run an nst oscillator circuit
> without some load to absorb the energy thus keeping the Q to a
> reasonable value due to the inductance and reflected inductance in a
> Tesla oscillator circuit.
>
> Dr. Resonance
>
> >I agree wholeheartedly with your advice, but not the rationale.
> >
> >If one does not have a suitable load on a coil, the issue is that the
> >power drawn from the wall won't have anyplace "safe" to go.  By safe,
> >mean into bright, noisy, pretty sparks coming from the top load.  If
> >that power isn't going into sparks, it HAS to go somewhere else.  It
> >will for the most part be burned up in the gap (i.e. the gap will run
> >MUCH hotter), but additionally, it will heat up the capacitor, and
> >that's the gotcha.  The peak cap current will be unchanged, but the
RMS