Re: Testing High voltage puck diodes. Partial failure

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Perhaps you should look at my site where I show different modes of LED partial failure including loss of part of the die and reduction of reverse voltage standoff. I am an self-proclaimed expert in LED abuse.
http://tesladownunder.com/HighVoltage.htm#High%20speed%20Tesla%20spark%20photography%20-%20LED%20polarity,%20current%20indicator

Peter

Original poster: "Leigh Copp" <Leigh.Copp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Jim,
In the last 20 years I've heard a lot of talk about diodes (and other devices) failing intermittently. I have yet however, to ever see a semiconductor that was anything in between good, and bad. They either fail from too much voltage, or too much current, or too much heat. .... I am open to the benefit of experience from others, but I have spent literally hundreds of hours in the field investigating claims of power semiconductors that would intermittently fail, or only fail at high current or voltage. I can definitively say that I have yet to ever fail to find other problems that were directly responsible. ... So for my 2.5 cents worth check them with a multimeter, and then install them.
Cheers,
Leigh