toroid transformer question

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,
I have two small toroid transformers that I'd like to do 'something' with. The low voltage side measured 34 - 35 uH (approx. as measured using a really crude home-made inductance meter I put together from a kit haha), and the high voltage side measured 3.33mH for each one. Now I 'presume' the primaries are really meant to be 33uH, for a 100:1 ratio. I haven't measured the wire guages, but the primaries appear to be approx. 18g and the secondaries appear to be either 26 or 28g just looking at them compared to some 24g I have. I don't remember the core dimensions and thise are taped but they are approximately 2 1/4" OD, 1 1/8" ID, and about 1 " thick with the windings included. So, the big question is, does anyone have a suggestion for using them? I know from taking one apart back when I got them some 5 years ago that the cores are ferrite and not banded steel like a variac is wound on, so I imagine they can be operated at much more than 60Hz. I may try experimenting with them driven via a 555 timer/mosfet circuit in a manner similar to a car ignition coil would be done. Has anyone used anything like this to drive a small TC? Give me some ideas please. I just hate to have them sitting around here doing nothing all this time. I don't know that they'd be of any use for a TC, but any ideas would be much appreciated. I got them cheap at a surplus store in Denver and have carried them to Florida and back(to Colorado anyway) without ever having done a thing with them...lol It's time to figure something out, I think.
Thanks,
Mike

<http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396545367>Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate in the <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396545367>Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.