Re: static spark gaps

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/3/07 8:06:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

James,

Folks have used both tungsten carbide and pure tungsten.
Pure tungsten is considered to be better.

Silver works excellently as a spark gap.  I've used it a couple
of times and had excellent results.  The oxides of silver are
conductive, so the gaps never seem to need cleaning.  After
a while the surfaces became pitted, but they kept working
just as well.  I only tried these silver gaps at low power up to
600 watts or so.

John
--

May I join this thread?:
Many people have mentioned Tungsten electrodes .... are these

If  as suggested below a flat surface is best: what is the general
opinion on using two silver faced contact breaker studs ( salvaged
from a fork lift truck) as the static gap ( low power = ignition coil
job- no pigs!)

They are brass , 1/2 dia. and have very thick silver plates* as the
faces .* plates not platED.

Will the silver be good ... because of the conductivity , or bad
because it's easily oxidised &eroded

Thanks